Wednesday, November 4, 2009

don't play with matches

I just had to share this little story. At the park recently, there was this cute mom with a 1 year old son. We were chatting for a bit when I looked over and saw that her little man had a match. I blurted out, "He's got a match!" She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, that thing? He's had it all day. It's pretty much his favorite thing to play with". I think she saw the concern on my face and added, "He can't strike it without the box". I didn't really know what to say, but I mentioned that matches could be struck without the box. I think I made her feel embarrassed, but didn't all of our mamas teach us not to play with matches? It's like one of those classic words of wisdom passed down from our mothers. Don't run with scissors. Wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. DON'T PLAY WITH MATCHES. Even if this was some kind of "special" match that couldn't be lit without a box, isn't she teaching him that it's okay to play with matches? I told HF about this later.

Me: This kid could've struck the match on his shoe, or the cement, or even on his teeth! You know how kids put everything in their mouths.

HF: Yeah, but I don't know of any people that strike matches on their teeth. ha ha ha. . .

(uncomfortable silence . . . the sound of crickets)

HF: Don't tell me . . .

(more crickets)

I admit, I tried to light a match on my teeth once. I won't go into it. Anyways, the matches. Crazy, right? Or am I just one of those silly over-protective moms? It just seems like throughout time there are always stories of kids (or adults) that get badly burnt, or houses being burnt down for playing with matches. It kind of freaked me out seeing that.

13 comments:

Momma Val said...

NO WAY, what a complete dipwad!!! Sorry, but in any form matches should not even be within reach of babies, toddlers, or kids. If that kid associates that they are dangerous today, then maybe when they are carelessly left out at grandmas house 4 months from now he wont start a fire cause he recognizes that they are OK to play with in his mothers eyes. OK, enough said, I CANNOT handle stupidity in parenting. Think that it's especially hard for us LEO wives who hear all the bad things that happen to kids from our LEO's as a result of bad/horrible parenting. OK, I'm done now. (Mind still reeling over here in Chicagoland by this one!) WHAT?!?!

Slamdunk said...

I am with you and would be concerned.

It would also make me wonder what kind of other not-so playthings are in reach at the child's home.

copswife said...

To me, it's obvious that the child should not have a match for possible fire reasons. But what about just the size thing? Children that age put everything in their mouths, ears, noses, he could have gotten splinters at the least and choked or had to have surgery to have it removed.

This mom needs to learn limits. I picture him at age 18 stealing cars, drinking and smoking weed - and she's like, what, it's his favorite! Maybe that's harsh but I do see it as a sign that she cannot stand up to her own child! Take the damn thing away!!

mrsofficer said...

UM What I want to know is how he even got a hold of it to begin with? My son is 14 months and YES he still puts things in his mouth.What about the chemicals that are used to MAKE the match itself? Or the wood splintering in his mouth or CHOKINGon it??? There are just tooo many safty issues here.I hope due to your look that mamma took it away

mrsofficer said...

wow i was so upset by your post apparently i forgot how to spell lol

Sage said...

We brits have whole campaigns about not letting kids play with matches, they are not toys period. At that age they don't recognise the danger and need a responsible adult to make them aware and teach them right from wrong..

Thanks for stopping by the blog, hope you had a giggle reading the love story, definitely not a pervy reader I promise xx

Dori said...

All sorts of things wrong there...choking hazard, swallowing the explosive bit at the end...

Lighting a match with your teeth...interesting. And I know for a fact that if stomp on a match hard enough it'll spark--so same theory for biting down on one.

Wifey said...

Um, I'm much more concerned about the child choking to death on a match! That seems highly irresponsible... i'm glad she seemed embarrassed rather than indignant. Good thing you said something!

This does remind me of a conversation DH and I were having awhile back. He was disappointed when I bought regular matches, not the "strike anywhere on anything" matches. I think he too wanted to strike 'em on his teeth or something. :)

MrsRobbieD said...

Im not sure if I've ever commented you before, but Ive been reading for about a month.

I know people that have lit a match with their teeth, must be an Arkansas thing. (dry off the back side of the front teeth and flick it forward)

Matches are dangerous unlit as well, why else would Vets freak when a pet has ingested them?

mrs. fuzz said...

Sage- I think we have the campaigns too. At least in the public schools. This mom must've missed school that day or is just a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Scary.

MrsRobbieD- Hi! Nice to *meet* you. Do you have a blog?

I remember the guys that were showing me how to light it on my teeth were drying their upper teeth and under their upper lip to get it just right. Funny.

KD said...

I totally let my kids play with matches. How else can we get personal visits from the fire department and have them hand out those cute plastic firemen hats, just to my precious little darlings?!?!

firefighter / paramedic said...

I agree with all the comments posted so far. And YES kids burn houses down "playing" with matches. Whats next? She lets him play with a gun- "Its ok, I don't think its loaded" Definte job security for all emergency services.

Ashton said...

Actually, the majority of matches these days are safety matches, meaning they can only be struck on the box. Believe me, I know, they will not light on anything except for the box.