Monday, March 9, 2009

guns n things

Last week, Mr. Fuzz started the firearms portion of the academy. I would say he is the most physically drained now than ever before. On the first day of shooting (at the academy), he was getting ready to go, and I noticed how sweaty he was. I said, "You're sweating! Are you nervous?" He said he was actually. I was surprised, but when I asked him why it made perfect sense why he was sweating. I would be too. Turns out, the poor guy was a little nervous about being shot by CJ, or someone like her. Up until now, he has been shooting at the range with a few people from the police department, and he was a little apprehensive about shooting with the whole group. When he came home he said that CJ had 3 instructors on her pretty much the whole time. They aren't aware of her shenanigans from the weekly department shooting, but I think they could just tell how she might be with a gun just from what she has already displayed in the academy.

The gun scenarios have been physically grueling in that the instructors had the cadets stand holding their gun on target as long as possible. Additionally, the instructors made the cadets do sprints, pushups, and situps in gravel followed by combat breathing excercises. They did this for four hours straight amid the instructors screaming at them. The other scenario based training they have done is a fire fight simulation called "laser shot," where the cadets face a video projection and interact with suspects while an instructor manipulates the reactions of the people on the screen. The cadets are equipped with a fake glock or 1911 with a laser inside it that they can use to engage suspects should they need to.

Here's where I brag. The laser shot instructor said that he has good natural instincts. The shoot, don't shoot scenario he passed the first time and he said that no one ever does that. He has also been told that he has really good verbal and communication skills and that he establishes command and control immediately.

He's going to be a good cop.

More CJ updates tomorrow.

5 comments:

Dori said...

Yea on surviving a range day with CJ! And also on the scenarios! My husband recently had a blog post regarding the split second shoot/don't shoot decision. I loved reading it because it really wasn't something that we could sit down and actually chat about--but now I sort of get to see it through his eyes and perspective. Fascinating.

It's me said...

I'm assuming FATS? (not sure if I spelled it right) They had one at the SHOT show but I didn't want to humiliate myself with all the manly-men around so I didn't get to play.

I so hope Hot Fuzz will continue shooting drills. Some departments only re-qualify once a year. That would scare me. Husband has shooting drills every month with SWAT and I like that it keeps him prepared.

Peace!

It's me said...

Thought of you when I saw this:
http://sgtsays.blogspot.com/2009/03/training-family.html

Slamdunk said...

Congrats to the Mr. for doing well on the simulation. And his parents probably thought all of that video gaming as a teen was wasted time...

Berserk said...

FATS machines are kinda fun, even if some of the FATS scenarios are a little out there.