Monday, February 18, 2019

Update: Cops Have Hobbies Too

Eight plus years ago (what?!), I wrote this post, "cops have hobbies too". It made me laugh. It's also got me thinking about what has changed over the last few years as far as HF's hobbies go. Our kids are older, we are older, our lives are somehow busier. Some things never change. Right now as I type, HF is on his "Saturday". He has Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off right now. I am sitting up in bed typing. The kids are all asleep. HF is sitting at the foot of the bed playing his guitar, writing music. and recording what he has come up with. It is the best background to my reminiscing.

Music is still one of his major loves. It is therapeutic and a creative outlet. He still loves art, but hasn't done any in I can't remember when- unless you count a number of home projects I drag him into doing for me. Yes. Let's call that art. Reading and learning has always been something he loved, but now it is a daily occurrence. He is always listening to a podcast, reading something about religion, politics, leadership, philosophy, etc. It's been interesting to me to see how what he has read and studied the last few years has shaped his mind and his beliefs.

Can therapy be a hobby? He regularly goes to therapy. SO good for him and anyone in this line of work. He's been through some tough things in the last decade. We both have.  Maybe some of those tough things will make it to the blog. Still loves his video games, movies, gear, guns, and SWAT. The kids need him more than they need me for all the emotional stuff. They always want to tell him what's on their minds, pour their hearts out to him, and play with him any chance they can get, which as you can imagine, isn't often enough. Of course, I want all his undivided attention, but he's a wanted man. He has more cop buddies now than he did in 2010, a bond that is unbreakable and needs its own version of nurturing, usually in the form of group chats, meetups,workouts, movie nights, etc.

A new hobby to add to the list since the post in 2010. BJJ. Or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It's kind of a family thing since two of our kids do it as well. BJJ is life.

If I had a wish it would be for more time. Days off seems to fly by. Paid vacation flies by when I'm not done traveling and exploring with him. Nights grow late when I'm not done soaking up more conversation and affection. He is my life. Our family is everything.

Anyway, a little has changed. Not much. I loved reading through all the comments on the above mentioned post. Wonder if any of you are still out there. What has changed in the last 8 years? To reiterate the original post, yes. Cops are people too. They have hobbies and interests just like everyone else. Sometimes they play to the stereotype, but more often than not, you'd be surprised at what happens when the uniform comes off after a shift.

No comments: