Monday, September 9, 2019

swat callouts: ruining plans since 2010


SWAT. Getting callouts since 2010 that routinely interrupt things. Things like concerts, dinner, dates, SEX, you name it. I'm telling you, if you make plans, or even if you are spontaneous, you are almost guaranteed an interrupting text or phone call which is work related. In HF's case, a SWAT callout.

Recently, we went to a rock concert an hour away. We bought tickets 6 months previous to the concert night. While enjoying ourselves at the concert, HF received a swat callout. He responded and of course they were okay with him not coming given how far out we were, but it kind of ruined the rest of the evening. I know not everyone is like this, but HF's mind (and heart) was with his brothers the rest of the evening until he knew it was resolved. I understand, but it is kind of frustrating.

Sometimes I feel like Mr. Incredible in the video clip above. "No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

I've talked to so many other wives and girlfriends that say the same thing about the interruption. If you have plans you can expect a callout. We've been heading out the door to meet friends when he's gotten a call. It does not seem to matter. I'm laughing about it right now, but it definitely is a buzzkill at times! But just like the other wives and girlfriends I associate with, we support our guys and understand that it's part of the job. We get mad and complain about it of course, but in the end, we move forward with other plans. We think of them while they are gone (worry a bit maybe in the back of our minds), hope they are being looked out for and safe. And we love the sound of the garage opening signifying that once again, they've made it home. 💙

No comments: