Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Blue H.E.L.P.

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. I mentioned a few days ago that HF has dealt with his share of suicides on and off the job. Is it possible nowadays that just about every single person knows someone who has attempted or committed suicide? It breaks my heart to even think about it. I know today isn't just about law enforcement suicide prevention or awareness, but that is where my focus is. In 2019 to date, there have been 143 law enforcement suicides. I have seen first hand the effects of suicide on my husband. Would there be less law enforcement suicides if there was less of a stigma surrounding mental health? Sometimes it is our brothers and sisters that need help and care and not just those in the communities in which they serve.

One of my favorite finds has been Blue H.E.L.P. On their website they state that "It is the mission of Blue H.E.L.P. to reduce mental health stigma through education, advocate for benefits for those suffering from post-traumatic stress, acknowledge the service and sacrifice of law enforcement officers we lost to suicide, assist officers in their search for healing, and to bring awareness to suicide and mental health issues." You can read more about what they do and what they are all about on their website, but I also wanted to mention the confidential help hotlines and resources they have listed on their website.




There is help. There is hope. I 💙 my family in blue.

No comments: