Wednesday, September 11, 2019


On September 11, 2001, I was a 20 year old college student sleeping through my first morning class. My roommate's boyfriend called and woke us up. We thought he was joking about terrorist attacks. We got up anyway and turned the tv on. The rest of the day was a blur. Classes were canceled, friends and families gathered. I would find out later that a friend's father was on one of the planes that left Boston. He was flying out to California for her wedding. I remember thinking that since I wasn't in NYC, I wouldn't be affected "as much" as those who were in NYC. That I was safe on the other side of the country. How young and naive I was. We are all connected. We all are a part of this event 18 years ago, whether you knew anyone personally that lost their life that day or not. Today I am going to talk to my kids, show them videos, and teach them to treat other people with kindness and respect. Politics and problems aside, I want them to love their country and their brothers and sisters we share this nation with.

No comments: