Thursday, September 12, 2019

Going Public?

I'm considering going public. When I say public, I mean posting a real picture of my face and using my real first name. Gasp! When I started A Police Wife back in 2008, I decided that it was best to maintain our privacy considering HF's line of work. Fast forward a decade, and I see so many blogs and websites of LEOs and LEOWs that are not private or anonymous. Pictures, names, places, just out there!

HF is not a fan of having his identity revealed for a number of reasons. There's political blowback, safety, privacy, possibility of losing his job, the sensitive nature of his job, safety of family, etc. Those are very real concerns and if they are his concerns they should be mine. But what is the harm of just having a picture of my face and my first name? I wouldn't be saying where I live, or what department HF works for. That shouldn't be a big deal, right? Unless someone recognizes me and finds something I've blogged about to be controversial to HF's department and then his job could be in jeopardy? I honestly don't see that happening, but that is the way my husband thinks and operates.

What if he is being interviewed by a news station, his picture is in the news for a charity event, or is filmed during a swat mission? That has happened and he's not happy about it. I have asked since it was made public, if I could post it to my personal facebook or instagram because I'm so proud of him. The answer is always no. It's tough sometimes. You are proud of what he does and you want the world to know. But at what cost?

Tell me. Why stay anonymous? Should I? If you are anonymous, what are your reasons? If you choose to be public, or public to a certain extent, what are your reasons? What are the benefits or consequences to putting yourself out there? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Also, HF's department has a policy from his department to not appear in uniform on social media, post about the PD or the job. He is highly discouraged from using social media. Is it different if it's just my image and words? What are your departments' policies? Do they have one? 

No comments: