Saturday, March 20, 2010

personal post: another recap!

Good: I'm caught up on laundry! I tackled that massive mountain of laundry that was taking residence on our bed.
Bad:  I washed and dried a pair of HF's special tactical pants the "wrong" way and "ruined" them. Oops!

Good:  Friends visiting from AZ.
Bad:  Our kids fought with their kids.

Good:  Was able to run many errands this week and learn about couponing finally. Hopefully couponing will save us some dough.
Bad:  left the keys in the door each time I went out (even overnight twice!). I feel lucky to be alive.

Good:  We bought a dresser for the kids' room.
Bad:  We scratched and banged up our walls getting it up the stairs.

Good:  Stayed up the night before St. Patrick's Day making a bunch of these. I didn't have to buy anything. Already had all the supplies on hand. Well, except for the "gold" aka rolos.
Bad:  I ate like an entire bag of rolos while making them. . .

Good:  Ordered Daisy's birthday cupcakes from a "famous" cupcake bakery. These cupcakes are divine!
Bad:  My son threw a fit while we were in there, smeared his grubby hands and face all over the display cases and screamed at the customers and the workers, begging for food. People looked at me in disgust. It was one of the most embarrassing moments in parenting for me up to this point.

Good:  We have been sticking to a menu plan and a food budget and eating healthier.
Bad:  The dishes have been piling up and piling up because I'm the only one that does them! See for yourself. Don't you judge me. This is the part where you say you've been there too. Anyone?
Good:  Had a coupon for the Princess and the Frog for $10 off.
Bad:  Went on release day and apparently Disney is sold out of the blue ray and dvd combo pack that the coupon is good for.

Good:  We have been car shopping for a new van and found the perfect one that fit our budget and our taste.
Bad:  HF test drove it and drove it to our house and when he left to take it back, it wouldn't start. Lemon?

Good:  Went to Costco today to get a few things. Was able to feed my kids lunch in its entirety just from all the samples. (their black bean burgers with cayenne are delicious!)
Bad:  Forgot half of everything it seems: diapers (baby is wearing the last one as we speak!), agave, beans, etc. and they don't sell my favorite face wash anymore. AND a strange old man shuffled toward me with his cart with his fingers in a pinching motion at me. Just when he got close enough to "pinch" me, or whatever he planned on doing, his caretaker, daughter, whoever it was steered him away. I was going over in my mind how I would "kill" him. Remember HF's advice? "Be nice. Be polite. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Luckily I didn't need to take such action. Why do I attract the weirdos???

Good:  Our almost 17 month old is hilarious. He has such a great hearty laugh and is happy all the time and has a shoe fetish. He loves wearing our shoes. And he is so curious about everything. Busy and happy and healthy.
Bad: He "misplaces" one of each pair of shoes, climbs up to reach the sharp knives and will take one and run off with it with his arms swinging (scary) while I chase behind him to grab it before he pokes his eye out. Looks like I will have to move the knives. Again.

Good:  HF works hard to take care of us and to excel in his career. He has a good reputation, respect from everyone he comes in contact with, and has made a lot of good connections with the right people.
Bad:  He is gone a lot and sometimes I am tired of being without my "partner in crime". I did marry him you know, so I could spend the rest of my life with him.

Good:  A while ago, we rid our home of the mouse problem. Holes are covered up, everything is clean, traps have been placed in strategic locations just in case.
Bad:  I was so traumatized by the mouse problem that we had that every night without fail, before I go to bed, I sit in the middle of my bed listening to all the creepy house sounds that might mean the return of a mouse, or even a possible break-in. My heart races and I imagine the worst. Please tell me someone else does this. My imagination really runs wild when I sleep alone at night. Still not used to it. The mouse that we caught (humanely I might add), I made HF drive miles and miles away to let him loose in a wide open field. It's the same mouse I fear that will find its way back to our house. I really need to get a grip.

Good:  HF has another shift change coming up and gets Fridays and Saturdays off!
Bad:  His shift change is 10 pm to 6 am. (this is better than 7 pm to 3 am, but still not the most desirable shift. For me.)

10 comments:

Natalie said...

Where to start on what I can relate to?

Coupons: Just because something's a great deal, doesn't make it a necessity. Learned that the hard way after getting a mountain of pop right after my family and I swore off the stuff.

LOVE the pot o'gold idea! I love St. Patty's Day, so that would be an awesome craft for myself and the kiddies next year. Thanks!

My dishwasher was always broken the first few years of marriage. I never grew up without a dishwasher, so when he (aka my husband, aka the dishwasher) would break down, my kitchen looked exactly like that.

Tried to pull up the Princess and the Frog coupon without success. Now I know why.

My almost 2 year old is SUCH a happy kiddo, but also as mischievous as they come, only her fetish is for writing utensils of any kind. She's VERY good at finding anything that will write and being VERY quiet while marking up everything from my census info to the walls and body.

FH works SO hard too, but I feel like I haven't seen him for nearly a month now!

Sorry for yet another hijack. I could just relate all too well with your good and bad!

Sister Copinherhair said...

I once packed a box full of dirty dishes because the sink was bigger at my new apartment. My mother took mercy on me and did them for me. I hate hate HATE doing dishes and will never live without a dishwasher again.

But, yes, I have had my kitchen look that way too. No judging going on here...

KD said...

Girl! Speechless but in complete "I can so relate!" & commiseration. :)

I love couponing too, but like Natalie said... if you don't need it, it's NOT a good deal (which is hard for me to remember). In my case, once you've gotten six free razors is there really a need for more?!?!? And who wants to store it?!?!

Ll said...

An excellent list, so many points of commiseration. The husband did the laundry that came home from fire arms week at academy covered in gsr. Thank goodness. And since our academy is away, I sit up the five nights of the week he is away planning my attach strategy in case someone breaks in. Although I'm pretty sure house mice released in the wild aren't supposed to survive at all.

CM said...

Couponing! Cool, what are you doing? Newspaper ads? I still need to get the hang of it!

Jillian said...

Fridays and Saturdays OFF? Seriously? I didn't realize that having those days off was even an option! Haha! Good for you guys! My husband works 11 PM to 7 AM and it works out well. We actually get the most quality time together on this shift, even though I miss sleeping with him at night.

April E. :) said...

Husby works mid shift...11-7:30 am. It works great for us. Although there aren't any kiddos in the mix yet, so not sure how long that may last, but for now it is great. (I just sleep alone 6 days out of every 9! He works 6 days on, 3 days off)

Jenney said...

Ha! this was a great post! we had mice a couple of weeks ago...I check those darn traps EVERY day...a few times a day. We can't fix the holes because we are renting and are not alowed to do any maitenance on the house. Really? Yeah. Stupid.

Rebecca said...

Love it! Now that's what I call a list of the good the bad and the ugly. Ugly b/c of dishes - it's my nightmare. I hate dishes in the sink when I wake up - uftah!
I can relate to so many I don't know where to begin so I'll say DITTO sister, ditto. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Umm, I think you miscategorized the one about eating almost a bag of the rolos. That belongs on the gooood side of the line!

I used to listen for noises in a paranoid way, and then I got an alarm system. Now, I don't worry about a thing. I know this sense of safety is just as irrational as the fears (I mean, they can still break into your house even with an alarm), but at least I'm getting my beauty rest!

Ha! I was raised by an overprotective mother (that's nothing I wouldn't say to her face, by the way), and I'm going to tell her your husband's advice about being polite and nice but always having a plan to kill somoene. Funny!! And serious.

I am currently living without a dishwasher (which according to my mom is and always will be the BEST INVENTION EVER). I have the world's teeniest, tiniest condo (400 square feet), and the dishwasher that is broken is an 18" one. It's a smaller size, so I should be able to get one for cheaper than the standard 24" one, right? WRONG. So, I'm playing this new game with myself lately (which I think I need to write a post about), called "What else would I rather have for $600 than a new dishwasher?" The list is much longer than I expected.