Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Funeral


2019, we haven't been off to a good start. In the first month of the new year there have been 9 LEO deaths, 2 K-9 deaths, and multiple officer injuries nationwide. I had the honor of attending one of these funerals recently. I wore the above ribbon. I was able to sit with my husband as he mourned the loss of one of his brothers. 

If you've been to a police funeral you know how awe-inspiring and gut wrenching it is. It is amazing to be a part of this brother and sisterhood in blue. To see the love, unity, and respect between multiple agencies, to see how the community has lifted and supported our LEOs, the support being offered grieving family members is a lesson in compassion. I felt proud to belong to this unique group. I felt honored to participate with other LEO spouses as we took care of department and family needs. I will never forget the bagpipes, the sea of uniforms lining the path to the hearse, the endless red and blue lights as they made their way to the cemetery, the gun salute, the last call. It was truly a beautiful and heart breaking experience. 

It pains me to see my husband grieving. It pains me to see family members of the fallen in despair. It is easy to focus on the dark side. It is easy to be angry and bewildered. We can talk until we are blue in the face about what's wrong with the world. That is all part of it. But I choose to think of the displays of love I saw not just between law enforcement, but the community at large. That fills me with hope to see the majority, even though it seems like a minority, root for the thin blue line. 

No comments: