Thursday, January 31, 2019

Hit and Run

Last week when I was dropping my kids off at school, I pulled up to an empty spot in the load/unload area and they began to get out of the car. Another car pulled up behind me, and obviously parked a little too close to my rear bumper because when he pulled away he slowly scraped my rear bumper and side as he slowly drove away. He pulled up next to me and waved. I began to get out of the car, assuming that he was acknowledging his mistake and would pull over and get out himself. Nope. He drove off. I snapped a picture of the back of his car as he drove off but it didn't turn out.

Next, I called our local pd. An officer came out, checked out my damage and took pictures, took my statement, and told me to give them a call if I figured out who it was and in the meantime they would send out an ATL based on my description of the vehicle. I then went into the school because they have cameras mounted around the school and told them what time and where I was located and they pulled up the image of the car hitting me and driving off. 

I then see the car after school driving by and this time I got a good picture of the vehicle, the damage to their car from hitting me, the driver, and their license plate. The damage to my vehicle is somewhat minimal. There is no denting, just scrapes and scratches. The rear bumper popped out, but popped back into place when I pushed on it (I took photos of course before doing so). 

That brings us to now. HF is all about me calling the police with his license plate and getting him in trouble for a hit and run. I feel like there are other options.  1.  I confront the driver and tell him that we have video of him hitting me etc. and how would he like to pay for the damages however big or small they may be. 2.  Let the police take care of it. 3. Just do nothing and let it go. 

My personality is way non confrontational and I feel inclined to let it go because I really don't like making someone else's life more difficult. However, I did not cause the cosmetic damage to my vehicle and therefore I shouldn't have to pay for what someone else did, right? And he should take responsibility for his mistake right? 

What would y'all do?! 

Oh and just so you know, in the last 2 years, I have been t-boned and backed into twice. All of the times it being 100% their fault and they had to pay for damages. So as you can imagine I am over this. And wondering why me? Why do I have all the luck?!
    

No comments: