Tuesday, March 19, 2019

let's talk about shifts, baby


I never thought I would be saying this, but Hallelujah for the graveyard shift! Hallelujah for any shift but the cover shift. It's been a while since there's been a shift change 'round these parts, and I must say, excuse my French, the cover shift SUCKS!

Over the years I've gotten a feel for what the various shifts have to offer and I can't think of one good thing about the cover shift. It is my least favorite. HF's cover shift is from 7p to 3a, but he rarely makes it home before 5 am.  And he sleeps in the same as he would if he were on graves, waking up around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. With graves, he will be able to be with us in the evenings. This means dinner, bedtime rituals, maybe a little bit of a social life (I know, I know. In an ideal world...).

Announcement though! Coming up soon, HF will be switching to days. 4, glorious, 10-hour dayz. That means he will work SMTW with ThFS off! I have given up long ago on making plans around his work schedule, especially since days off always include meetings, SWAT callouts, training, etc. However, this shift schedule really does seem more family friendly, wouldn't you say?

For years now we have done life without my better half, and while the kids STILL ask where he is, or if he is home, or if he is going to be there, or is he coming with us, or when's dad home, etc. etc., I think we've done alright managing things without him. But I hope he feels all warm and fuzzy that he is missed and asked for even after all these years of being used to not having him.

No comments: