Monday, February 2, 2009

shootin' guns fer Jesus

Our little 3 year old boy doesn't speak very well still, but means what he says and says what he means. He loves guns. He gets very excited when HF gets out his guns. He says, "Mine! Mine! Mine! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" Last night HF brought home his brand new AR-15. Luke just about exploded with sheer excitement. "Gimme! Mine!" Of course the kids aren't allowed to handle guns without permission and supervision, but Luke and HF have reached a compromise. Luke is alowed to play with HF's red gun from the academy. He calls it a "poke". Because he likes to poke people with it. He usually says something like, "I a cowboy! Poke! Poke! Poke!" We think it's pretty cute.

On Sunday nights we have family night. We read scriptures together, say family prayer, sing songs, tell stories, have dessert, just spend time together. Last night Luke comes running into the room when we were getting started, and he said, "My Jesus! My poke!" This meant he wanted a binder I made of bible stories and his gun. We were laughing so hard because there he is on the couch flipping through scripture story pictures with one hand, while holding a gun with the other. "My Jesus. My Poke." I don't know about you, but I feel kind of weird putting guns and Jesus together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is SO funny!

Anonymous said...

I'd much rather have my kids have Jesus in one hand and a gun in the other, than to have a gun in one hand and Jesus nowhere in sight.

A love of the Lord is a healthy antidote to lawlessness. To me, it's kind of like sex: in our culture, it feels "icky" to put God in the bedroom, but that's exactly where he needs to be, given that he's the author of LOVE itself!