"we can be fired at any time so in a way we're always on probation."
I saw his point and was once again reminded that "they" are always watching. It's been 6 months on the job and I've made several quiet observations about being a new cop.
- Whenever someone in our jurisdiction is reported missing by a friend or roommate, within approximately 59 minutes the "missing" person will be located by the reporting party. Or their body will be found a few days later.
- When you're the new guy, everyone is your boss.
- When you're the new guy, you don't speak unless spoken to and even then you need to be careful what you say.
- Often times family fight reports from neighbors in apartment complexes, turn out to be newly wed couples having rough sex.
- When you're the new guy you get volunteered to do a lot of stuff. Do it right the first time, every time.
- Most of the people I interact with are inherently good, they just struggle with telling the truth.
- Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.
- You can never have enough flashlights with you at night.
- Having a good knife on you is a good. Having another one is even better.
- Never get lazy about cleaning your weapons. Even glocks need to be cleaned regularly.
- Fewer and fewer kids think the cops are the good guys, when you meet one who does, do everything you can to maintain that belief.
- Fitness shouldn't end after the academy is over. Training is a way of life that does not end.
- The night you don't have your traffic gear with you is the night that the big intersection will go out.
- When you're the new guy, you can do almost anything once.
- No booty on duty despite what your significant other will tell you.
- The media is always listening to your radio traffic.
- When you're the new guy you get pranked and teased a lot. But only if they like you.
- In this job nothing is given to you for free, you will work for everything you get. You will earn any sleep you manage to get.
I'm still enjoying being a peace officer. I love my job and the people I work with. It's been a massive sacrifice all around for us to get to where we are but I really do feel like Mrs. Fuzz and I are a team. A very tired team.